December 9, 2023

Philadelphia dominate, take game one in best of three versus New England

Philadelphia dominate, take game one in best of three versus New England

FOXBOROUGH, MA– The New England Revolution (14-10-9, 52 pts.) were defeated 3-1 by the Philadelphia Union (14-10-9, 55 pts.) in a match on Saturday night.

The match kicked off at 5:00 p.m. ET at Subaru Park in Chester, Pennsylvania to a crowd of 18,000.

The team started their lineup in a 4-3-3 formation with Jacob Jackson starting in net with a backline of (left back) Ryan Spaulding, (center backs) Dave Romney, and Andrew Farrell, along with (right back) DeJuan Jones. The midfield spots were manned by Mark-Anthony Kaye (left midfield), Matt Polster (center) and Noel Buck (right midfield). The front three was manned by Tomás Chancalay (left wing), Carles Gil (right wing), and Gustavo Bou as the lone striker.

Midfielder Ian Harkes remains unavailable due to a fractured his Adam’s Apple. His timetable is unknown.

Defender Henry Kessler returns to the bench. He missed last match over precaution due to his hamstring injury in April.

The match began with New England starting from the center circle. Gustavo Bou played the ball backwards to Matt Polster, who then played it wide to DeJuan Jones, who decided to build out of the back.

New England’s first moment of the match came when a close-range effort by DeJuan Jones was met with a save by #18 Andre Blake. The rebound then found Noel Buck, whose effort went bar-down and out, and was headed clear to Tomás Chancalay. His half volley effort was met with a save by #18 Andre Blake once more and then cleared to midfield.

Drama ensued in the 15th minute, as Philadelphia was given a penalty kick.

Due to Philadelphia Union forward #9 Julian Carranza being fouled in the box by goalkeeper Jacob Jackson, it was met with a review by the VAR. After the VAR, they deduced that there was contact, and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. However, no yellow card was issued.

Midfielder #10 Dániel Gazdag stepped up and slotted the ball into the middle right of the net past Jacob Jackson, who dove the opposite direction for the 1-0 advantage.

In the 23rd minute, Revolution head coach Clint Peay was forced to make his first substitution of the match when he replaced injured midfielder Carles Gil and replaced him with forward Bobby Wood. Gil was persistently targeted and fouled multiple times during the first 20 minutes, and was forced off due to this.

Just 3 minutes later, Philadelphia got their second goal of the match.

Following a give-and-go, Defender #27 Kai Wagner received the ball on the left flank and sent a dangerous cross into the box that was blocked by Dave Romney and forced Jacob Jackson to make a save. However, the ball was not cleared, which led to #7 Mikael Uhre slotting home a close-range shot past Jacob Jackson to add to Philadelphia’s lead.

Entering the 29th minute, Revolution forward Bobby Wood was issued a yellow card for a harsh frustration tackle on Union midfielder #10 Dániel Gazdag.

Philadelphia had yet another chance in the 31st minute, when Jacob Jackson made a fantastic diving save on a #9 Julian Carranza header.

Entering 35th minute, Revolution defender Andrew Farrell was issued a yellow card for a foul on Union forward #7 Mikael Uhre.

Just 2 minutes later, in the 37th minute, Revolution forward Tomás Chancalay was issued a yellow card for purposefully tripping Union defender #26 Nathan Harriel. Just moments after, due to this foul, Philadelphia added to their lead.

The ensuing free-kick into the box taken by #27 Kai Wagner found defender #26 Nathan Harriel who was left unmarked by Noel Buck for a wide open for a header at the back post that went directly past Jacob Jackson.

The last moment of the half came when midfielder Matt Polster found Tomás Chancalay for a long-range low-driven effort that was met with a diving save by #18 Andre Blake.

After the 45 minutes, the match entered halftime with Philadelphia ahead 3-0.

Prior to the start of the second half, Revolution head coach Clint Peay made his second change of the match by replacing midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye with forward Giacomo Vrioni.

The second half began with Philadelphia starting from the center circle. #9 Jullian Carranza played it backwards to #10 Dániel Gazdag, who then played it backward to #8 Jose Martinez, who then played it backward once more to begin building out of the back for Philadelphia.

New England’s first chance of the second half came in the 52nd minute when a left-footed strike by Noel Buck that went just wide of the top left corner.

Just 6 minutes later, New England had yet another chance where Gustavo Bou took a long-range effort which was saved once more by #18 Andre Blake.

Entering the 68th minute, New England pulled one back.

Following a poor giveaway in the defensive third, The ball was won by Giacomo Vrioni and deflected the ball to find Gustavo Bou. He took 6 touches, took on two defenders, and slotted a goal past #18 Andre Blake to cut the deficit to 2.

As the match progressed in the 74th minute, New England had a clear chance when Emmanuel Boateng’s delivery into the box was met with a touch by Bobby Wood toward goal, which then inturn, led to a fantastic diving save by  #18 Andre Blake.

In the 76th minute, Revolution head coach Clint Peay made his third and fourth change of the match by replacing forward Tomás Chancalay and midfielder Noel Buck with midfielders Nacho Gil and Emmanuel Boateng.

In the 83rd minute, Revolution head coach Clint Peay made his fifth and final change of the match by replacing defender Ryan Spaulding with defender Christian Makoun.

Entering the 87th minute, drama ensued as Revolution forward Giacomo Vrioni and Union midfielder Jose Martinez were both issued yellow cards for fighting.

This moment of the match is currently being investigated by MLS for “racial remarks” made by Union defender Kai Wagner towards Revolution forward Bobby Wood. It is alleged that Wagner said a slur to Wood in German. Wood, who played close to 10+ years in Germany, speaks German, and immediately reacted. Vrioni, who played in Austria, heard the slur used, and also approached the official. This was all recorded in the officials match log.

After the 90+6 minutes, Philadelphia held on for the 3-1 victory.

Philadelphia are now one win away from eliminating the New England Revolution from the 2023 MLS Audi Cup Playoffs.

The Revolution must win HOME on Wednesday, November 8th and AWAY at Philadelphia on Sunday, November 12th if they want to progress to the next round.

The New England Revolution (15-10-9, 55 pts.) return to Foxborough, Massachusetts to face the Philadelphia Union (15-10-9, 55 pts.) in a must win game that will take place on Wednesday, November 8th. The match kicks off at Gillette Stadium at 7:00 p.m. ET on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app.

(Editor’s Note: For more of Burt Granofsky’s photos, click on the link)


Leave a Reply