Space heater causes fire, displaces home owner in San Antonio

Megan Armstrong San Antonio News

The fire started around 10 p.m. in the 500 block of North San Gabriel Street near Rivas Street and North General McMullen Drive by St. Mary’s University. Firefighters said they arrived and found a working fire in the back of the house.

The homeowner told firefighters that they started a small heater in that part of the house, which is where investigators say is where the fire started.

SAFD said firefighters quickly knocked down the fire. One person was displaced after getting out of the house safely. SAFD said they were treated for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

With freezing temperatures continuing in Bexar County, officials are recommending the following to keep themselves safe:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater. 
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Never use a generator indoors.  
  • Always plug portable heaters directly into a wall socket (no power strips).  
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.  
  • Never leave children unattended in a room with a space heater.  
  • Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms to avoid the risk of poisoning.