Barcelona‘s presidential candidate Joan Laporta says he’s confident that Lionel Messi will stay at the club despite nearly leaving in the summer transfer window.
Messi attempted to force an exit and was heavily linked with a reunion with Pep Guardiola at Manchester City – this, after a public fall-out with then-president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
Argentine superstar Messi, who broke the record last week for the most goals scored for one club, reflected on a troubled few months in a tell-all interview with La Sexta on Monday.
Joan Laporta is favourite to become Barcelona’s president when it gets announced next month
He spoke of his frustrations with the club at boardroom level, such as the sale of friend Luis Suarez to Atletico Madrid on a free transfer.
With the club looking to agree on a new deal with Messi, the 33-year-old and his team say they will make a decision once a new president has been installed.
Laporta is hoping he will be the new man when the decision is announced next month, and is confident of working things out with the six-time Ballon d’Or winner, stating that the exit-saga was the result of two factors.
‘It is the result of poor management,’ Laporta told AS. ‘The situation has worsened with Covid, but mismanagement is the origin of this consequence; having Leo like this.
‘The two things are reversible. The situation of the club is reversible and the Leo issue, I hope too.
‘I think the most important thing is that Leo said he will wait for a new president to decide and, therefore, he would be willing to listen to Barca’s proposal.
‘They told me they would wait until the end of the season. I think that is very positive.’
Lionel Messi tried to force a move out of Barcelona after a public fall-out with the club